How to Freeze Onions
How to freeze onions for longer storage.
- Fully Mature Onions
- Select fully mature onions.
- Peel onion and then scrub with clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Chop or dice onion (about 1/4-inch to 1/2 inch pieces). There is no need to blanch onions.
Freeze onions using one of the following methods:
- Dry Pack – Pour onions in freezer bags. Placing packages flat in the freezer helps the onions to freeze faster and makes it easier to break off sections as needed. Express out the air and place bags on cookie sheets or metal pans until onions are frozen. Then, restack bags to take up less room.
- Tray Pack – Freeze onions in a single layer on a clean cookie sheet with sides, about an hour or longer until frozen prior to packaging. Transfer to a freezer bag when frozen, excluding as much air as possible from the bag. The onions will remain separated for ease of use in measuring out for recipes.
Packaging Food for the FreezerSuitable freezer containers include:
- Plastic freezer bags
- Freezer paper
- Freezer Aluminum foil
- Plastic containers with the snowflake symbol
- Plastic food storage bags
- Milk cartons
- Cottage cheese cartons
- Whipped cream containers
- Butter or margarine containers
- Plastic bread or other product bags
Storing Frozen OnionsTo extend the time frozen foods maintain good quality:
- Package foods in material intended for freezing.
- Keep the temperature of the freezer at 0 degrees Fahrenheit or below.
- It is generally recommended frozen vegetables be eaten within about 8 months for best quality.
10 ways for successful onion crop 2021 dixondale crop best irrigation system for onions chili cheese onion rings cooking with onions crop update day length delays in transit Dixondale Farms extended shipping time farm update freezing french onion chicken french onion recipes growing onions growing onions tips and tricks growing organically harvesting onions how do i get my onions to grow bigger? how to grow onions from onions how to plant onion sets onion bacon stuffing onion bulbing onion crop status onion daylength onion diseases onion growing onion growing tips onion harvesting tips onion pest and disease management onion planting onion plants Onion Plant Size onion recipes onion ring recipes onion rings onion watering requirements organic onions planting onion transplants Recipes storing onions stuffing thanksgiving transit delays vidalia onions