Glazed Baked Onions
Glazed Baked Onions
Slow-baking onions gives them a mellow sweetness. This is good with naturally sweet Vidalia onions or red onions, but ordinary yellow onions will do just as well.
- 1 cup homemade or prepared vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp buttery spread such as Earth Balance
- 1 generous pinch dried rosemary
- 1 generous pinch dried thyme
- 1 generous pinch ground nutmeg
- 6 onions extra-large, cut in half
- 1 cup fine fresh breadcrumbs for topping
- fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine all the ingredients except the onions and breadcrumbs in a small saucepan. Heat gently, stirring, until all are smoothly blended. Remove from the heat.
- Peel the outer skin from the onions and cut them in half crosswise. Cut a thin sliver from the bottom of each onion half, so that they'll stand steadily in a baking dish.
- Arrange the onions halves in a shallow baking dish and pour the mixture from the saucepan evenly over them.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the onions are tender when pierced with a fork. Once or twice during this time, spoon some of the liquid from the bottom of the baking dish over the onions.
- Sprinkle the onions with breadcrumbs and bake, uncovered, for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Serve at once or keep warm until needed.
10 ways for successful onion crop 2021 dixondale crop best irrigation system for onions chili cheese onion rings cooking with onions crop update day length delays in transit Dixondale Farms extended shipping time farm update freezing french onion chicken french onion recipes growing onions growing onions tips and tricks growing organically harvesting onions how do i get my onions to grow bigger? how to grow onions from onions how to plant onion sets onion bacon stuffing onion bulbing onion crop status onion daylength onion diseases onion growing onion growing tips onion harvesting tips onion pest and disease management onion planting onion plants Onion Plant Size onion recipes onion ring recipes onion rings onion watering requirements organic onions planting onion transplants Recipes storing onions stuffing thanksgiving transit delays vidalia onions